Thursday, February 17, 2011

MTC week two ....gaining the altitude

Hey Family,
You have asked several times about my schedule as a missionary at the MTC, so I'll tell you. I wake up every morning at 6:30 am, sometimes earlier if we have a service project in the morning. After waking up I'll either have to get ready for class at 7am or I will have gym at 6:35, depending on which day it is. Every day I have to do one hour of personal study as well as companionship study. We also spend at least 10 hours in the classroom, and some times I end up losing focus.

The big part of the MTC experience for me as well as the rest of the missionaries is to do a lot of teaching. We teach our teachers as if they were investigators, the teacher act like investigator from and we have to teach them twice a week, to eventually get baptized. We use a Training Resource Center (TRC), which a place at the MTC where me and my companion go to teach people acting as investigators or sometimes they are actually investigators, once again, trying to get them to come unto Christ and be baptized . There are many teaching opportunities and workshops, but as much as we practice teaching, the one thing that they want us to get out of the MTC is being able to teach by the Spirit and trust me, that even in fake teaching situations the Spirit can be felt really strongly and without the Holy Ghost, our message cannot be powerful or life changing.

So aside from all the teaching, we get four days of gym. I have converted from playing basketball to playing ‘Four square’ which is lots of fun. We also get fed like crazy here at the MTC which is the total opposite of the experience we will have out in the field. Oh, and don’t worry, I have not gained any weight. Remember how I told you the food was good, well let me take that back, the food was good for the first few days until you have the same meal for dinner like every other day. Now, I despise going to lunch and dinner. I think if I went foreign speaking I would kill myself, because the schedule here is tiring and the food no longer looks like food, haha.  

So, yesterday evening for devotional we had Elder Pearson and his wife speak to us. He is a member of the first Quorum of the Seventy. His message was so powerful and inspirational that it has changed the way I will go about being a missionary. To tell you the truth at first I thought I did not like his talk at all because it felt like he was chastising all the missionaries, but once I humbled myself, I knew and felt that his message was inspired. It was one of the best talks I have ever heard in my life. He reminded us we need to stop being ‘Matthew Wawro’ or ‘Allen’ or ‘Lucy the cheerleader’, but be a disciple of Jesus Christ willing to put behind the natural man and worldly desires and be prayerfully searching and diligently studying.  Also, Sister Pearson said something simple but profound. She said, "attitude determines altitude." If we are excited and joyful, we will be more diligent in studying and more sensitive to the Spirit. But when we are angry and have a bad attitude we will be less productive as missionaries. So the better our attitude the better of a missionary we can be.

I love you guys so much and oh, before I forget thanks so much for the cinnamon rolls, they were DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!! I got them at night and they were done by the next morning. Oh, and I had to share them because they looked so good, that other elders wanted some, which was a good thing.  Well I wish you all the best and I'll be praying for you. I almost forgot, I am leaving for Arkansas early on Tuesday (02/22) morning at 3:00 am and I have to board the airplane that leaves at 6:10a.m., so be warned  …I'll be calling you when you guys are asleep.
Once again I love you guys and be great.
Love,
Elder Wawro