Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My first area ...Jackson, Tennessee

Dear Family,
Before I forget, here is my address, 817 Trace Drive, Jackson Tennessee 38305. We live in a nice apartment complex but the apartment is not so pretty because it has been poorly maintained:-(.

My very first night here in Jackson, Elder Andersen and I got a referral to visit a sister in the Ward. Very nice lady who lives with her mom. We blessed her home and left her with a copy of the Book of Mormon and then we went back and visited her on Friday and brought her a copy of the “Finding Faith in Christ” DVD.  Unfortunately because she is not mentally stable enough to understand anything about the Restoration or about the Book of Mormon we will meet with her sometimes and just read with her but she is not an investigator.

WOW!!!!!!!!! The members here in Jackson feed the missionaries. Every night so far we had dinner. One family let the missionaries use their computers for emailing to family and we can use their washers and dryers for which they supply all the detergent and dryer sheets:).  Every Monday they take the missionaries to a Mexican restaurant.  On Friday, one of the sisters in the Ward, who is a manager of the local Steakhouse restaurant, let us eat for free whatever we want. So this past Friday, for an appetizer we got sweet potato fries which comes with a caramel dipping sauce. Oh my goodness, one of the best tasting things I have ever had, you guys should be very jealous. They also have great ribs. So, as long as I stay in Jackson, I'll never go hungry:)

The Ward here in Jackson is very small, probably 1/4 of the size of our ward, but that is because they have more than 250 inactive members. WOW. So reactivation plays a big part of our role here in the Ward.  Elder Andersen and I attended the PEC for the first time here this past Sunday. In  two weeks me and my companion as well and the Ward Mission Leader will be speaking in sacrament meeting about the missionary work, specifically, focusing on how to find people to teach, the Book of Mormon and the Restoration. And you might like this next piece of information, the Bishop of the Jackson (TN) Ward is from Canada.


Remember how we were deciding about which bike to buy, you guys should be very happy we chose theone we did and that it was not as expensive as the other bikes, although mine looks awesome and is PERFECT for a missionary, because I will not be using a bike too much on my mission, which totally sucks. And I will never use the bike here in Jackson for as long as I am with my current companion (Elder Andersen) because he has a dead right eye and he is not allowed to ride a bike or drive a car. So we drive everywhere and your son is the driver, fun stuff. The only time we don’t use the car is when we tract, although we drive the car to the area we will be tracting.
I feel very lucky because President and Sister Drewes are great! They are so spiritual and very caring, which makes the missionaries want to work hard for them. We did not get reimbursed for the cost of luggage, but that is ok because here in Jackson missionaries don’t spend too much money as we get fed every day.

It sucks that Kayla, Ben, or Beth didn’t get into BYU Provo. I thought that Kayla will for sure ...BUMMER. Oh well, they will all have a blast at BYU Idaho and they can all hang out when they get out there. I am very happy for all of them because I know how good BYU Idaho is and they will not regret going to school there.

I am glad to hear that all of you guys are doing great. I hope you guys continue to stay busy and to continue to stay close to Heavenly Father. Good luck with everything back home and remember I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, here are a few picks from the MTC and the field (will send more next week).
Love,
Elder Wawro

 
Goofing up in my room

 
On the way to the Temple



My MTC District ...kodak moment


Catching ...the vision (or rays:-)


MTC is over


New Missionaries with President and Sister Drewes