Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Only in the South:)

Dear Family,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I needed them and will still need them as I try to do my best. Also, thanks for the news update on the missionaries in Japan, I know it must have been crazy for their families back home.

Before I forget, our apartment number is 817, the 817 in ‘Trace Drive’ is the apartment number. Sorry for the confusion, the address looks like an address for a house.

So we did not experience much success this week:-(  I’ve had my first Zone Conference, meeting that encompasses a couple of Districts that make up a Zone. It was great. President Drewes gave a wonderful message about loving our neighbors as ourselves. He gave many references in the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price. I had never realized that loving our neighbors was a commandment just like, ‘thou shalt not steal’, or ‘thou shalt not commit adultery’ and that this commandment isn't to love thy neighbor when it is convenient for you but ALWAYS.  I love reading in the New Testament, in the book of Matthew Chapter 22 verses 36 – 40 where Christ answering peoples question ‘what is the greatest commandment’ without flinching and without them asking him says "and the second is like unto it ……" emphasizing how important loving our neighbors really is (second to the first commandment by like a millimeter:).  It is a principle that I will definitely try to implement and live by a lot more during my mission and hope to carry it through out my life. Even though Zone Conference was from about 8:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. it went by really fast and we (I) have learned so much.

My Sacrament meeting talk as well as Elder Andersen’s talks went well. I spoke on ‘My Purpose’ which is the first chapter in ‘Preach My Gospel’, and related it to the purpose of members and their roles as missionaries and what they can do to fulfill their roles. My companion spoke on the ‘Restoration’ and the ‘Book of Mormon’.

I would encourage you guys and everyone who reads this email to get a copy of ‘Preach My Gospel’ and study and read through it in personal study, family study and during family home evenings. It can be useful even outside of a mission. The doctrine and principles taught from the first chapter to the last can be used and applied in our everyday lives. So I would encourage you to do this and I know if you do it, than you will see a renewed take on the gospel and missionary work in general.

Our investigator Jonathon who is the closest to baptism right now, was in Arizona all of last week, which meant we did not have an opportunity to teach him the last lesson. No one else is progressing, so no one right now would be worth mentioning, but I keep hoping (and praying) that there will be some success around the corner.

It was kind of sad yesterday. Elder Andersen and I went to sister in the Ward. She is divorced and has two children both just over the baptism age. Both children want to be baptized but their dad who they live with will not allow them to. It is so sad because they both have a testimony that the Church is true and they just love to learn about the gospel, so maybe sometime soon their dad will soften his heart and allow them to enter the waters of baptism.

Anyway, here is a funny story; well at least I think it’s funny. So as you already know my companion is a District Leader which means that sometimes we have to go on splits with some of the missionaries in our District. One day we went on splits with the missionaries from Trenton, a little town in Tennessee north of Jackson. As we were driving down the streets of Trenton, I noticed that the residential area speed limit signs are at 31 mph all around this little city.  I had never seen a speed limit like this in my life. Here is the funny part.   Elders from Trenton told me that apparently the 31 mph speed limit came about because the wife of City Mayor got a speeding ticket for going over the speed limit on a street with a speed limit of 30mph. Now take a second and guess how fast she was driving   ........you got it 31 mph, so in consequence she got her husband to legally change all the 30 mph speed limit signs to 31mph.  Haha:), only in the South.

Wow, I am so incredibly excited for Jordan Barrett. He will have a blast and it will undoubtedly be the best experience of his life. Oh my gosh, I’m super excited right now. Tell him congratulations for me!
Please send my best wishes to Brother Call, well I guess President Call now. He will be a great Elders Quorum President.

Once again thanks for all the updates and for keeping me posted on stuff. I hope you guys have a wonderful week!   And Remember... I LOVE YOU!

Love,
Elder Wawro