Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reflections on Lehi's vision

Dear Family,

My new companion is Elder Murton from South Jordan, Utah.  He was companion with Elder Bluth at the MTC and has been out for about three and a half months. 

Great news about our most promising investigator, she will be getting baptized this Saturday and the Bishop will be performing the baptismal ordinance.  We are so excited!  She is so prepared and has great faith for someone who is 12 years old. She is also a great example to her family.

This Sunday (June 03) during the Elders Quorum lesson about adversity, I received interesting personal insight.  My mind was reminded of the Lehi’s vision of the Tree of Life and the mist of darkness which represents Satan’s temptations and the adversity that we face while going through those temptations and it occurred to me that the mist of darkness was only covering or affecting those on the straight and narrow path holding unto the rod of iron (word of God) pressing forward to the tree of life, but interestingly enough it was not covering those in the great and spacious building.

I never thought of it this way but clearly Satan sees those of us holding fast to the word of God as a threat and enemies so he tempts us more and tries to make our lives even harder. And he focuses on us because he badly wants us to fail. So we go through adversity not because God doesn't love us but we faithful saints are the targets of Satan. The 1 Nephi tell us that it is the word of God (specifically the Book of Mormon in these latter days) that will help us to overcome the fiery darts of Satan and that we don’t have anything to worry about as long as we feast upon the words of Christ and apply His teachings in our lives. Hopefully that made sense, but I thought I would share that since I never thought of the tree of life story that way and because it brought me so much peace and comfort.

Y'all have a great week and enjoy life. Oh, yea before I forget again, I did get the suit two weeks ago and it fits great – Thanks!!!!! ….and I always enjoy your letters mom.

Love,
Elder Wawro